Image Map

Thursday, September 18, 2014

About "Being All You Can Be"

I think just about everyone has heard that slogan before. Parents and teachers have preached it since the wee days of kindergarten. They may not always phrase it the same, but it works out to being the best version of you that you can be. As I've recently shared, this fall I've taken on quite a bit of 'extracurricular' tasks all at once. Right now, I'm trying to find a nice balance between them all, and I feel a bit like a tight-rope walker, wearing a blindfold and carrying a stack of fine China on my head!



I know that I have to let go of the idea of perfection, but it's hard to convince yourself of that when you feel like you have so much to prove (even if it's only to yourself). I want to be the best mother and wife I can be. That means volunteering in the schools and baking cookies for work. It means the house doesn't stay dirty, the laundry doesn't pile, and there's always a plan for dinner (which always includes a leafy green). I want to be the best rookie coach I can be. That means I'm always fun, but I teach them so much. I never have to raise my voice or give them "the look". They never leave upset with me and they feel comfortable enough to tell me about the little boys in class. I want to be the best student I can be. That means I never skip a reading assignment. I never roll my eyes at the basic things we're learning. I always finish well before the weekly deadline, and I always get 'A's'. I want to be the best blogger I can be. That means I always have witty things to say, my pictures are flawless, and I never use a comma splice. I want to be the best friend I can be. That means I'm always helpful and I never say no. I'll always be up for coffee anytime--I'll never be too busy. I want to be the best tenant I can be. I will not complain about the smell of mold. Or how long it's taking to get it fixed. Or that I cannot stand the current construction zone called our house. I want to be the best landlord I can be. That means I won't bang my head against the table when changing a light switch is considered "emergency maintenance" and costs $130.

I will always try to be the best me that I can be. But I am all of these things, and I need to learn that I will not be the BEST at them all. Only some of these things are vitally important to me. I will be the best mother and wife I can be. I will try to always be a great friend. The rest, I'll settle for being mildly awesome at.

Now that you know I'm certifiably crazy, please reassure my nutty side that I'm not the only one (right? RIGHT?!) Do ever feel like you're trying to 'prove something' to yourself or the world? About being a parent or a spouse or just a person in general?

 photo sig_zps1d81acf9.png

No comments: