Image Map

Thursday, May 8, 2014

One for the Road: London



{For some reason, it has been so hard to sit down and blog lately. I have time, I just don't really feel like spending it in front of this big honkin screen! Perhaps I need a Macbook (hint bomb:dropped, Josh!)then I could type in the car while I wait for the kids at school or at softball practice, or-the most likely place-bed. Either way, I have made a vow to myself to get back on track, and I've set specific goals and a plan to get me there. So, expect to hear a little more from me coming up.}
I wanted to finish recapping our trip to London. Which, in my opinion was the best vacation we've taken so far. I loved it there, and really wish it wasn't such an involved trip and so expensive. I don't want to have to hop on a plane to get there, and driving would be too lengthy a trek. So we'll have to save our next jaunt to London (if there is one) for a special occasion! Speaking of special occasions, I do believe that is where I left off-detailing Little J's birthday day.

Well, as I said before, each girl got to pick one special event for their day, and we picked the other. Before we left, I envisioned that being my girly girl, Little J would pick tea at the palace or something to that effect. I went downtown and picked up some quasi fancy dresses for the three of us, and made sure the boys packed nice clothes as well. I was set. Little did I know she'd be throwing me a curve ball by absolutely not wanting to do tea time, no matter how much I tried to persuade her. It just "didn't sound fun" to her. Shows how much I know, huh?! She's quite the indecisive little thing, but we couldn't 'waste' time waiting for her to decide on a place to go. We went down to breakfast-a delicious buffet spread that we enjoyed every day. A waitress noticed how dressed up we all were (since I was still so sure she'd pick tea) and stopped to chat. She asked how we were liking our stay and what we'd visited. Through the course of conversation, she learned it was Little J's birthday, and she tried to make some suggestions on where she should go. When she asked Little J if she played any sports, and she replied softball, the look on the woman's face was priceless. We sometimes forget that Europeans aren't hip to the same games as we are. Us trying to remember to call soccer football is a struggle even after a year, but the lady had no clue what softball was. Josh explained it was "kind of like cricket. For girls." Apparently that puts my girls in rare company in the eyes of the British. After she made her suggestions and we finished our meal, she surprised Little J with a mountainous breakfast sundae and each girl with a goodie bag full of candy and toys. She even had the rest of the wait staff come to our table for an early morning "happy birthday" serenade. It was pretty much the nicest thing she could have done for them. It made the girls feel really special on their days (because she made sure to find us for K's birthday, as well).

Since we had already picked out our activity for the day, we once again boarded the tube headed to Victoria Station. Once there, we walked towards Buckingham Palace so that we could try and catch a glimpse of the changing of the guard. Holy bananas. That place was so crazy. I expected a lot of people, of course, but I was not prepared for the pure madness of it all. Little kids were being pushed aside and crunched together. Grown men were shoving their way through the throngs of people to push their way to the gates. We found a semi open spot where we could at least breathe without fear of being trampled. We couldn't see much-the girls saw nothing at all-but for once having my super long arms paid off. I was able to lift my camera over the crowd and get some decent footage. At least we'd be able to watch it later. And we'll always have the experience, right?! After the almost viewing of the guard change, Little J had finally made the decision on what she wanted to do that day. What did she pick? The London Eye. I did not see that coming whatsoever. She's scared of nearly every type of thrill ride-including the Sesame Street coaster at Busch Gardens. I certainly did not expect her to pick Europe's tallest ferris wheel! I admit I was a little hesitant myself, given my last in air melt down. I decided to suck it up, however, partly because my child wanted to do this and partly because I've tried to challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone. This day that meant boarding a giant ferris wheel and riding hundreds of feet in the air. No big deal. I am so glad I did. The views were amazing and PJ is still talking about it. (Every time he sees a picture of the London Eye, he says, "We've been there. We've been on that ferris wheel.") They offer you an interactive guide to purchase for £1 so you can know what you're looking at on the horizon. Even though I purchased that guide, I was still lost. I was mainly bouncing back and forth in the car looking at this site or that one. Or making sure PJ didn't lean on the door that said  "DO NOT LEAN ON THIS DOOR" (OR PLUMMET TO YOUR CERTAIN DEATH). The last part was definitely implied.

In addition to our ride on the London Eye and the changing of the guard, we walked around a bit. We posed for pictures like good tourists, we watched street performers in Trafalgar Square,we hit up the M&M store, and just thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.











 photo sig_zps1d81acf9.png

No comments: