Image Map

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Super Quick and Easy Holiday Cards

I know Valentine's Day has come and gone, but I wanted to share with you a quick and easy alternative to those store bought goodies! The beauty of this super simple project is that, not only is it quick, but it's handmade. How thoughtful will your kid look when they bring in handmade cards for everyone in their class?!

Since we are currently living in Germany, we don't get quite the selection of store bought cards that we would in the states. Not ones in English, at least. I made the mistake of waiting until the last minute-and by that I mean TWO WEEKS before. By the time I went back for cards, they were completely wiped out, leaving no trace that they ever had existed. Part of me wanted to say, "oh well kids. Maybe next year", especially since we were leaving for a vacation on Valentine's Day. Luckily, for my monkeys, mommy likes a challenge. 60 cards by tomorrow morning? Consider it handled.


I had looked at Pinterest, of course, for ideas. And though they were adorable, I found that getting the supplies on such short notice was next to impossible. So, I headed out to the craft store on base, and bought four sheets of 'love' colored card stock. The rest of the supplies used, I had on hand and chances are you have something to use, as well.


Step 1: Gather your card stock. Plain or patterned work well, just make sure it's a heavier weight. You will need to calculate how many sheets you need based on the number of cards you hope to produce. One 12x12 sheet makes eight 3x3 cards.


Step 2: Score your card stock along the 3, 6, and 9 inch marks, both ways. this will help in the long run, trust me.

Step 3: Cut your paper at the 6 inch mark. You are now left with two 6x12 pieces

Step 4: Turn your paper so the long way is closest to you. Now cut along your 3,6, and 9 inch score marks. These will be your cards.
Step 5: Fold along the remaining score lines on each card.  Because we scored all in the beginning, there's no need to score each individual card! You now have your 3x3 card, ready to decorate! 

These are some that I made for my daughters' classes. They probably took 45 minutes to make all 60.



These cards could also easily be made for St. Patrick's Day or Easter, as well. The possibilities are endless, and now you can add a little handmade love to your holidays! 




 photo sig_zps1d81acf9.png

No comments: